InFiNe.lu attended the 2018 Convergences World Forum beginning of September in Paris where the Microfinance Barometer is traditionally launched.
This publication aims at showcasing the global trends of the sector, while raising awareness about the high impact microfinance initiatives and promoting best practices.
Here are a few of the 2017 trends and figures you can find in the 9th Microfinance Barometer « Microfinance and Profitabilities ».
- In 2017, there were 139 active borrowers worldwide, +5% increase compared to 2017.
- representing USD 114 billion in portfolio.
- The gender gap in accessing an account remained at 7%.
- The highest concentration of borrowers is found in South Asia.
- Slower growth from year to year in all regions of the world but for different reasons, for example, the Indian demonetisation impacted the disbursement and reimbursement of loans. The interest rate caps in some countries also impacted the market.
- Microfinance institutions tend to diversifie and digitalise its distribution channels to lower their operational costs.